AGE CRITERIA – 15+ YEARS
Membership to one of the Performance Squads should be considered a privilege that is earned and maintained and not an automatic right. Coaches’ discretion may be used in placing an athlete in the correct squad to assist in the best possible development.
The offers to join a squad are done on a termly basis. Swimmers must reach squad eligible age before December, March or August of any given swimming season (1st September – 31st August) to be considered for a place in a particular squad. Swimmers on either side of the age bracket may be selected to join the squad if coaches are of an opinion that it will benefit the swimmer in his/her development. This could be in cases such as later developers or an early maturer or returning to swimming following an injury or long illness.
For swimmers to maintain the squad membership for next season they will have to demonstrate and maintain the below criteria. The commitment to training and competition programme consistently over the whole season will be looked at. Information about fees.
Next training sessions
- Senior Squad Morning Ernest Bevin Thu 28th May 6:15am – 8:00am
- Senior Squad Tooting Thu 28th May 6:30pm – 8:30pm
- Senior Squad Morning Ernest Bevin Fri 29th May 6:15am – 8:00am
- Senior Squad Alleyn’s Fri 29th May 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Senior Squad Morning Ernest Bevin Mon 1st Jun 6:15am – 8:00am
- Senior Squad Land Ernest Bevin Mon 1st Jun 6:00pm – 7:00pm
- Senior Squad Ernest Bevin Mon 1st Jun 7:00pm – 8:30pm
- Senior Squad Morning Ernest Bevin Tue 2nd Jun 6:15am – 8:00am
- Senior Squad Ernest Bevin Tue 2nd Jun 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Senior Squad Morning Ernest Bevin Wed 3rd Jun 6:15am – 8:00am
- Senior Squad Crystal Palace Wed 3rd Jun 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Subscribe to the squad calendar
Attend SEVEN sessions each week and increase the hours progressively following the squad recommended guidelines. This aspect is important for correct development and in order to progress to the Senior Squad.
- Be on poolside, ready to swim fifteen minutes before the session starts and carry out dry land warm up and blood flow on poolside as directed by the coach.
- Bring the correct equipment (see kit list)
- Bring a full water bottle.
- 20×100 FC on 1’30 maintaining good technique and pace below 1’20
- 8×200 IM on 3’15 maintaining good technique in all 4 strokes
- 400 #1 kick under 8min
Swimmers should enter all competitions on the squad competition calendar and must make themselves available for club team events (NAL, MK Junior League, Surrey relays etc).
Illness or absence
Please use the form to inform your coach of any absence due to illness or other commitments. Please state your child’s name, squad and a brief reason for absence. If a fuller explanation is needed, arrange to speak to the coach before or after a session.
If a swimmer is late to a session, they should not enter the pool until told to by the coach, who will explain the warm-up and allocate a lane.
If a swimmer feels unwell during a session they should tell the coach straight away. They must not stay in the changing room as the coach must be aware of which swimmers are in the building.
Information is sent via the Senior Squad rep – please ensure we have an up-to-date email address.
Leander is a community-based sports club, run by volunteer parents drawn mainly from the senior swimming squads. We cannot function without you – any offer of help, no matter how small, is always appreciated. Thank you.