The Committee are delighted to inform you that we have appointed a new Head Coach for Leander - Martin Jurco.
Martin was the England Talent Coach 2012-2013, the Surrey County Coach 2013 and 2014 and Assistant Coach at the West London Beacon Programme.
He has recently been working at Guildford City Swimming club, as Lead Coach to the Regional Squad, and Assistant Coach to the National Youth and Senior Squad swimmers including Olympic and Commonwealth Team members, World and European Junior Championship medallists.
Prior to that he was Head Coach of St Pauls’s Barnes from 2009 – 2013. Continue reading
If you live or go to school in Lambeth you are eligible to swim for the borough in the London Youth Games.
One complication – if you go to school or live in Wandsworth and have taken part in the Wandsworth Borough Championships – then Wandsworth have the first claim on you as a swimmer (part of the conditions of the Wandsworths).
The trials take place on Sunday 2nd March – download the entry form.
Steve Baker reports: This was a sprint event for 12 and unders held in the civilised surroundings of Beckenham Spa. Leander set 45 PBs and won plenty of medals, including two for relays, showing the strength of our younger swimmers against some tough competition. Download the full results – the highlights:
- Bella Hodges – 9 year old girl of the event with gold in the 50 Back and bronze in 50 Breast. (She was too fast in 50 free and got a speeding ticket!)
- Jack Aeron-Thomas took gold in 50 Fly and bronze in 100IM
- Emma Mango took silver in the 50 Breast.
- Gold in 10 and under medley relay: Bella Hodges, Naabil Khan, Samir Quasi, Ben Findlay
- Silver for the freestyle team. Bella Hodges, Ella Aeron-Thomas, Samir Quasi, Ben Findlay
Congratulations to all swimmers and thanks to coaches Caroline and Steve.
Caroline Findlay writes: On Saturday 8 Feb a coach load of swimmers, some experienced, others less so, headed to Dorking to take part in the Moyce cup.
An early arrival even left enough time for a quick game of football before the team took to the pool to compete. After 13 fast paced races Leander lead by 3 points. Next followed the close-fought relays after which the lead had shrunk to 2 points… Lots of cheering through the last few races meant that the final score showed that Leander won by 18 points!
I would like to thank Fiona and John for coming along to officiate, and the swimmers for behaving so well and cheering their team mates on. Well done!
Well done to all who swam so hard at the Last Chance gala at JAGS on Sunday 2nd Feb, and a big THANK YOU! to all the volunteers who helped make the day possible. You can now view the results online.
Well done all who swam at a soggy Elmbridge Excel on 18 & 19 Jan. Lots more Surrey times were achieved and the club returned with a slew of medals, including 10 golds! View the full results.
- Gold: Jordan Darling (200 Br), Reese George (50 Fr, 100 Ba), Bella Hodges (100 IM, 50 Fr), Imogen Marcar (100 Br, 50 Br), Polly Ruppel (50 Fr) and Ella Wakefield (50 Fl, 200 Fr)
- Silver: Jordan Darling (50 Br), Reese George (50 Ba), Mia Lee-Leslie (100 IM, 100 Br) and Joseph Metcalfe (50 Ba, 200 Ba)
- Bronze: Amber Coulthard (50 Fl, 100 Ba), Reese George (200 Ba), Polly Ruppel (50 Ba) and Jake White (100 Fl)