Club Chair Lorraine writes: The Academy Gala was a great success. It was lovely to see our little swimmers on the blocks, stars in the making, plenty of noise and cheering. It is such a fabulous introduction to competitive swimming – if you didn’t enter this year make sure you remember to next year.
After the racing we even had time for a fun swim, followed by 4 hours of football in the lovely JAGS grounds. I am sure there were some very sleepy children by the end of the day (and a few sleepy adults). The food was amazing, and so much of it, we were blessed by the weather.
This year’s trophy winners:
- The Mole Cup (awarded for commitment, dedication and hard work, and Role Model behaviour) – Cecilia Alfonso-Eaton (Yellow Squad)
- The Squad Trophies are awarded for work ethic, commitment, and attendance and go to:
Bronze – Thomas Walkinshaw
Silver – Jacob Taylor
Gold – Jack Banasiak
Blue – Khaled Oozeer
Yellow – Lucy Atkinson (with an amazing 454 hours of swimming so far this year – that’s commitment!)
Most successful swimmers:
- Ben Umunna Junior (14 & Under age group) – Kirstin Harvie
- Ben Umunna Senior (Over 15 age group) – Megan Whittaker
The Eddie Lucas Shield (for the most inspiring swimmer, voted for by the swimmers themselves) – Cecilia Alfonso-Eaton
Head coach Martin writes: In our preparation for Open Water Regional Championships, which are also qualifying rounds for the National Championships in July, four Leander swimmers ventured out of London into the unknown waters of Shepperton lake.
Caroline Findlay writes: On Saturday 4 June Leander hosted the first round of this year’s MK junior league. We had been drawn against some stiff opposition – 3 of the top 6 clubs in last year’s competition including the winners.
Our team was made up of swimmers pulling on Leander hats in competition for the first time alongside the more experienced who had taken part in the previous 2 years.
There were lots of fantastic swims and a number of personal bests with several top 3 finishes. Well done to all!
So we now prepare for round two… Please keep practising, giving 100% in training and ensure that if asked to represent your club that you are available.
Thank you to all parents and volunteers who made the gala run so smoothly.
We are One team with One dream
Head Coach Martin writes: The Regional Championships concluded in May with the 11 -14 year old age group competition. 10 Leander swimmers qualified this year.
We had fantastic first weekend, gaining two medals and our first Regional Champion – Jordan S-D in the 200m Breast. Imogen M took Bronze in the 200m Breast.
The star performances continued in the second weekend:
- Kirstin became our other Regional Champion by winning the 50 Fly in a very close race. She also collected Bronze in the 400m IM.
- Jordan collected Silvers in the 100m Breast and the 400m IM
- Jake, Khaled, Joseph and Tymek came 6th in the 14-16y Boys 4x200m Free
- Enerel, Suzannah, Megan and Kirstin came 5th in the 14-16y Girls 4x200m Free
See the full results. Continue reading
The pump at Ernest Bevin is still awaiting repair, so the changes to sessions continue. We are sorry for the inconvenience, which is out of our control. The squad calendars have been updated with the changed sessions. Please keep checking back for new changes.
Head Coach Martin writes: We took more than 50 swimmers to this meet in Wycombe’s recently opened new 50m pool. The main aim was to take swimmers out of their comfort zone (24 of our swimmers had never competed in a 50m pool before) and to compete outside London in as many events as possible to encourage team spirit and healthy rivalry.
We had so much fun as a team. We saw quality racing, a huge amount of PBs and medals. Quick stats:
- 277 PBs
- 14 Gold medals, 30 Silver and 18 Bronze
- 8 new club records broken
- Leander swimmers were among the top girls: Enerel was 2nd and Lucy A 3rd
- Jacob T came third among boys.
- Leander were Top Visiting Club, ahead of Stratford Sharks and Thame SC
See the full results. Continue reading